< Back to IRCAM Forum

Bpfs curves control of pitch selections from harmonic reservoir(s)

Dear All,
Another possibly obvious question. I’m eager to control the selection of pitches (from a vertical) via a specific BPF curve (or similar). I understand how to do the following (see image) but this - generating randomised curves that are then reflected in the linear contour - is the other way around from what I’m after!
Would anyone have some thoughts?! I do not necessarily need a patch but a way to think this through (though a patch would marvellous of course!). harmonic reservoir with BPF|690x352
Many thanks in advance as ever,
Krhes

1 Like

Dear krhes,

I understand you are looking for some ideas but can you be more specific about what you are looking for? Like what do you mean about “(from vertical)” ? Do you want some particular curves? special control of pitches? etc…

Best
K

Dear Karim,
Sorry for the ambiguity.
I’d like to be able to model the selection of pitches from a pitch collection which is shaped by a chosen curve. At the moment, nth-random chooses a number (repeat-n) of pitches from the collection (in chord) which then creates a curve (in bpf) which is then repeated a number of times and through bpf sampling (nbsamples) provides the pitches contour. I’d like to be able to provide a curve/point distribution in BPF (bpf-lib etc) (taking the place of nth-random/permut-random) that shapes the output contour (in chord-seq) based on a pitch collection (in chord). Basically:
I know your time is limited so apologies in advance if I’m still étant peu clair
Thanks again in advance,
Krhes

Ok, now it is nearly clear what you ask, however i don’t see where the nth-random is taking action (it is always better to send also a MWE patch). Your chord-seq curve looks a lot like your bpf.

I think you might want to have a look on Profile library. Maybe it should approach your quest.

You will find it here:
Releases · openmusic-project/Profile · GitHub

Best
K

Dear Karim,
You’re right! Control-pertb might be the function I’m after! Here’s the patch I’ve got for what it’s worth (see attached) - I’ll remember to include patches from now on!
chord-bpf-contour.omp (26.1 KB)
Thanks again (if you’ve any other suggestions, do let me know),
Ken

Now I think i understood (?) what you are asking for. Correct me if i am wrong, you are looking for a BPF generation starting from a list of notes ? At first i thought it was the contrary.

Anyhow, if you need a more advanced technique for producing note curves starting from a bpf contour, have a look at Orian Sandred’s tut-03 that you will find in the great OMCS library:

a method using constraints programing.
(sorry no patch included since it is already in the library’s tutorial help)

Best
K

Again, thank you Karim!!
Constraint programming has interested me for a while (articles on Hurel and Jarrell’s work come to mind - Leroux too perhaps?). I should dig in, however demanding (!) these are, and at least the tutorials should enlighten me!
Best,
Krhes

You can start with this:

great intro to omcs

and a very great pedagogical book from which omcs tutorials are presented :

https://sandred.com/CACBook/

Best
K

1 Like

Many thanks Karim for all this information and assistance.
MUCH appreciated. Will dig in now!

Best,
Krhes