< Back to IRCAM Forum

Better Visualization of Text/Data in OM

I’ve gone deep down the set-theory ̶B̶a̶b̶b̶i̶t̶t̶ rabbit hole and have been at work on implementing a concept introduced in Perspectives of New Music , SUMMER 2009, Vol. 47, No. 2 (SUMMER 2009), pp.
100-148 - More MOF and Mallalieu-related Rows
(for those that are interested)

However, I am looking for information on better ways to visualize data in OM. Quite often I use it in a CAC format where I will work on a patch, generate data, and leave it on the screen as a sort of ‘scratch pad’ using the (in my case) displayed PCs and sets to improvise and work through ideas.

Several processes that I use and work on generate lots of data — and it just becomes unwieldy to view in a textfile. Both with the viewer (M key) and in the pop-out window (double-click). Are there better ways to view all of this created data? Preferably without exporting it to another file or saved file. One of the things I enjoy most about OM is how flexible it is. I can patch up an idea and be improvising with the generated data shortly after while also feeding my ideas back into the patch. This interactive and feedback-loop style of generating material is great!

I’ve attached the patch in question (It’s got a high spaghetti content, but I’ve done my best to clean it up.). Notice how both textfiles have to much data to display either in a stretched-out canvas object or in the pop-up window.

MOF Row Matrices.omp (59.3 KB)

Any thoughts? Am I too far gone down the theoretical void? :wink:

Hi Austin,

What you are looking for is “pretty printing” using the format CL function.
Something like that:

The patch:
MOF Row Matrices-1.omp (72.9 KB)

But yes indeed, vizualisation is not optimized in a miniview. Maybe an idea for future development :slight_smile:
Best
K

I think the wiki on the format function provides an apt summation of what you have just introduced me to, Karim.

From my initial look at the CLHS, I gather that you’re using;
~A (aesthetic?)
~% (each item in listloop is printed to a newline)

In this case is ~A used as a kind of ‘sanity check’ to return items from the input string in a consistent manner? (No escape characters, etc?)

This looks incredibly powerful - but I know that there is much to learn and comprehend! I see that there are several of the pretty printing functions available in OM, how do they compare with using format?

Dear Austin,

some answers:

1. the ~A stands for a string, format will output it as a string without "
  2. ~% yes this stands for a newline

Now in OM, format is used of course and they mostly use format.

Best
K

If you’re in the market for rabbit-holes, here is the “official” reference for (format):
CLHS: Section 22.3.

For example, here is a format-string which prints a list of lists using a nested loop:
format-example-loop

-Jonathan