< Back to IRCAM Forum

Best way of using glissandi (MULTI)?

MULTITEST.txt (202 Bytes)

Hi. someone could let me know how to put glissandi (MULTI) in most efficient way? because in my score, the antescofo always skips the notes before MULTI even after I set @hook on every note.
(for example in this test score, when I hit the first note, the event number is always skipped to 6 which indicates the first MULTI)

Repeted notes are a problem. You can try to put a dummy silence (NOTE 0 0) after the two NOTE G4 and the two NOTE C4. It may help to distinguish the events. Keep n eye also on the calibration.

You can also try to alter the notation of thhe gliss to start from a little higher pitch, which will help to distinguish the end of the previous note and the start of the gliss.

Jean-Louis.

Hi @shy8500

In compliment to Jean-Louis’ excellent response I would add:

It all depends on “what you want to do” when you hit the G4 ! Are there specific electronic actions/messages you want to undertake?! Where/When should they be undertaken? That’s the whole purpose of Antescofo: to make sure Antescofo’s (re)actions are correct even if there is an error in detection (or musician!). See this ICMC paper for some details.

This said:

• if your goal is to run an action on the first occurrence of the G4, then I’d eliminate the NOTE before MULTI and would but the action on MULTI with a delay of zero.
  • If your goal s to run an action right when the glissando is going “up from G4”, then I’d put that action in a Group with a delay of 1.0 (assuming that the note before gliss has a duration of one beat).

As Jean-Louis mentioned, 100% precision detection of repeated notes is a tricky affair and I never recommend relying 100% on that during a live performance. However Antescofo provides different strategies to reach the desired outcome.

Dear @arshiacont @giavitto

hello. thank you for your help! and sorry for the vague example. I didn’t expect that repeated notes will be tricky.

but the thing is the Antescofo skips ALL the notes before the MULTI event, and it couldn’t be prevented by both changing pitches or inserting dummy 0 Notes.

for example, this is the excerpt from the actual score what I’m working on.
TESTexcerpt.txt (590 Bytes)

in this score - tested in my MIDI keyboard - first few notes from Measure 9 seems going well. but suddenly when I hit the key D4 (line 11 in the score), it suddenly skips into the Measure13. even it doesn’t have any repeated notes.

so I understand that @arshiacont you gave me some suggestions about action or group but I’m afraid I couldn’t understand exactly like "eliminate note but put an action on MULTI with a delay of zero. could you let me know some example?
(I’m afraid grouping some actions won’t solve or maybe just I’m misunderstanding something)