< Back to IRCAM Forum

Audiosculp tempo track

Hi,

I can’t find a way to search for this topic in this forum. I’v tried the search field in the top right corner of the page with the topic tiltle tag but no way… sends me to the main page of the Ircam Forum. Anyway…

I can’t import a tempo track, saved from AS, neither in Logic nor Pro Tools.
And when I do import it as a midi track it won’t sync to the estimated tempo of the same track in the DAW session unless I compress or stretch it ? (as if it sticks to a 120 BPM newly created sessions)

I’m of course looking into the DAWs’ docs… and wandering if I’m missing something

Is there a similar post, somewhere ?

Thanks

N.

Hi Nadir,

Thanks for the report.

AS only export a tempo track with the tempo changes in the MIDI file.
And you’re right, it seems like most DAWs do not like to have a single tempo track with no additional relevant information (like standard midi events: note on, off). DAWs just discard the tempo information when you have no midi event, or do not take into account the tempo info at all, but remap the midi events to fit to the tempo of the current project.

So we have to investigate what would be the way to be read as expected by all the DAWs (add more information to the MIDI file), may be fill it with “fake” midi events to make it readable for DAWs.

Best regards,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, may be wrap fake midi events in a container the way logic’s (or any…) style grooves are done, for instance, to quantize a midi sequence automatically when applied ?

Thank you

N.

Please don’t mind my joining the discussion. I don’t know about recent versions of ProTools, but there may also be problems and prejudice on the “receiver’s (DAW) side”. I have been campaigning for months to hopefully make someone at Logic discussion & feature request board understand that the term “beat” musically derives from conductor’s baton beat, and is therefore not necessarily related to a standardized note duration value. There are many examples of, let’s say, 3/4 signature pieces which are designated as h.=xx and conducted “on 1”. Yet, they stubbornly believed that beat was a quarter note (even when the denominator in the time signature says other than that) and everything else to be wrong. Period. So, I had to adapt my “silent midi events” to fit that silly concept.

Hi Stanko,

Thank you for your experience.
Yes, concepts may also vary in implementation in the different DAWs…

Anyway, we definitely have to adapt the export for the tempo events, because those Tempo events alone seems to be dismissed when read back.

@+
Charles