< Back to IRCAM Forum

Ascograph for Windows is ready?

Hi,
I get a strange error on Windows when loading a patch which contains 2 antescofo~ objects. It produces an Ascograph error message (cf below), whereas Ascograph isn’t installed on my machine.
Is there a special caution to consider when creating more than one antescofo~ instance in the same patch ?

In a thread of 2015 (Ascograph on Windows System), Giavitto speaks about the porting of Ascograph on windows… Is it ready to work today ? And if yes, how can I get it ? On a Mac machine, I was used to this tools for my score following process, in a complementary way to Antescofo.

Thanks in advance.

pb asco windows.maxpat (3.7 KB)

You can safely ignore that error!
We used to make communications seemless between Antescofo (in Max or Pd) and AscoGraph as if they were in the same environment (even though they were not). And this error indicates that Antescofo is unable to communicate with AscoGraph.

As for the state of AscoGraph: We probably made mistakes in choosing the right software architecture for AscoGraph! The bits of software AscoGraph relies on are all out-of-date and do not function on modern computers!

The idea though still holds: An external software that visualizes a music score along with its actions, and communicates via Network with Antescofo in Max/Pd for browsing and editing! If I had to redo this, I’d make it a simple web-based software and launch it as a community effort. This is unfortunately beyond the scope of antescofo.com but we can ofcourse support if any body is willing to step in.

Bests,

Arshia

EDIT: One way to communicate seemlessly with Antescofo is with Sublime Text Editor that works on both Mac and Windows. Details here: Antescofo syntax color for Sublime Text 3

2 Likes

In the quest of a replacement for Ascograph, there is some kind of support.

Serge Lemouton is using the message “bachscore bach_receiver” (sent to antescofo) to receive on “bach_receiver” the list o command used to build a bach.score representing the event structure of the Antescofo score.

Then a little Antescofo process is used to send a new position each time musical event is detected, which allows to follow the progression of the soloist in the score. Serge has a patch doing all that

https://github.com/slemouton/bachscograph

Hope it help,
Jean-Louis.

Hello Arshia, Jean-louis,
Thank you very much for your quick answers :+1:

@Arshia : Ok I understand that I should avoid using Ascograph now.
Is there a mean to prevent that this error message displays when I launch my patch ?
For example by explicitely saying to Antescofo no to connect with Ascograph when starting ?

@Jean-louis : I used Ascograph to generate the Antescofo score from my MusicXML files.
Your solution of online Antescofo convertor achieves exactly what I need, thanks for the trick.
Regarding the use of function @bach_score, it works quite good to fill a bach.roll object.
In my use case, I needed to fill a bach.score object, which can be done afortunately through an additional conversion with bach.quantize (bach.roll-> bach.score).

I designed a little patch to test @bach_score (cf attachment), and I would have 2 questions about the result :

1. How can I get the score signature from the generated messages addmarker / addchord ? It seems to give the value 1/2 whatever be the time signature defined in the Antescofo score.
  2. Why some very loud notes are sometimes generated in the bach.roll (look at the brahms score for example) ? Maybe a bug of bach ?

Best regards,
Jocelyn

BachscoTest.zip (10.0 KB)

We will remove that error in the future release. Thanks for bringing this up.

For Bach, I leave it to Jean-Louis who’s the master-mind behind it! :slight_smile:

Hello @jojocello.

Unfortunately, there are no time signatures in an Antescofo score. The comments like

; ----------- measure 1 --- beat   0.2 --- time signature 12/8

are misleading. They are generated from information present in the MusicXML source, but have no counterpart in the Antescofo musical event’s specification. They are added as comment (sarting with a “;”) by the translator.

Because this information does not exists in the score (comments are removed before analysis), the @bach_score function is unable to send to Bach the corresponding definitions.

If by some means you have access to a description of the time signature, you can send it to Bach.roll independantly of the message sent by Antescofo.

For your second question, the answer is similar: there is no specification of note velocity in Antescofo score. And so @bach_score() send always the same velocity. If some note are louder, this is perhaps a bug in the Bach playback.

If you want time signature and note nuances, you can proceed differently:

1. Use your MusicXML score to feed a Bach.roll object. So you will have all infos present in the richer score description.

2. Translate your MusicXML score into an Antescofo score. You will loose some information (nuance, time signature) but the duration are kept and the Antescofo score is “aligned” with the Bach.roll.

3. Do NOT use @bach_score() to fill Bach.roll. It is already filled. You just have to send during the performance the information for the current position, as it is already done in your patch using the dedicated antescofo~ outlet. The cursor in the “full” Bach.score will be synchronized with Antescofo.

The only problems with this approach is when you change the score: you have to change the initial score, re-generate a MusicXML and regenerate an Antescofo score.