< Back to IRCAM Forum

ASAP for Mac is not working

The reason why being the message: ARA extension is not supported.
I have a Mac Book Pro Catalina 10.15.7
Is it possible to solve it?

Hello,

I assume your issue is only with the Spectral Surface plugin that requires the ARA extension support for your DAW and not all the ASAP plugins. The message continues with Ensure that the plugin is loaded with the ARA specifications or contact the support of the host application to ensure that the ARA extension is supported. Indeed, not all the hosts support the ARA extension and when it is supported, there are a few peculiarities compared to standard plugins (the ARA support can be specific to VST3 for instance). Everything should be documented in your host application manual and there is also further information in the ASAP manual with a link to hosts with ARA support.

Is the issue specific to the Spectral Surface or do you have an issue with the other plugins?
What is the host application (DAW)?
What plugin format do you use (VST3 or AudioUnit)?
Did you follow the instructions of the host to load ARA-compatible plugins?

Hello Pierre

yes, the issue is with Spectral Surface. Iam using ASAP as a VST3 plugin in MaxMsp. checked also Logic which loaded ASAP as Audio Unit plug in but the same problem with Spectral Surface.

Did you follow the instructions of the host to load ARA-compatible plugins?

ASAP has been loaded as VST plug in. I didn’t found any further folder with instructions. Are there other plug ins to replace ARA?

Anyway all the other plug ins work, so thank yoy very much

Marcela

hello,

I’ve the same issue with MacMini M1, OSX 12.6

Ableton Live is not in the list…

Best,

Jerome

Hello Marcela,

Here are a few answers to your questions that I hope will help you.

Iam using ASAP as a VST3 plugin in MaxMsp.

The ARA extension allows accessing all the audio content of the tracks and the regions in your host (depending on the implementation). For instance, in Reaper or Logic, the ARA-compatible plugins are loaded in a track and can access all the audio content of the track. The Spectral Surface analyzes the audio content, displays the spectrogram, and allows you to draw shapes on it. There is no such concept of track or region in Max, so the ARA extension doesn’t make sense here and that’s why, I guess, Max doesn’t support the ARA extension (and the Spectral Surface plugin displays the warning message).

checked also Logic which loaded ASAP as Audio Unit plug in but the same problem with Spectral Surface.

Logic Pro supports the ARA extension (what is your version of Logic Pro, by the way?). In the Logic Pro manual, there is a section named “Support for ARA 2 plug-ins in Logic Pro”. Did you follow the instructions? Please, provide further information (all the steps you’ve done, the version of the application, and so on), so we can help you.

I didn’t found any further folder with instructions.

You will also find information in the ASAP manual (on the ASAP project page, click the Download button and then select the manual).

Are there other plug ins to replace ARA?

I’m not sure to understand this question, can you be a bit more specific?

The ARA-extension support in Ableton Live has been requested by many users Ableton live support for ARA 2 - Ableton Forum), you can join them :wink:

In the meantime, you can use Reaper, Cubase, Studio One, Logic and others… and it will even be supported by ProTools soon :slight_smile: