< Back to IRCAM Forum

Arguments should be of type rational(?)

I’m trying to diminute voice 2 by using the profile library – what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Hamish

Hi.

Can you please send the patch?

K

TimeQuant2.omp (16.7 KB)

Dear Hamish,

In fact mktree is expecting ratios, and compr/expan outputs floats. So here is a solution:
Screenshot_2023-08-22_14-09-53
The patch:
timequant2-1.omp (28.8 KB)

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Thanks very much for this.

What seems to have been generated is not a gradual expansion, but a string of extremely long durations.

Have I missed something here?

I’m trying to achieve a prolation augmentation/diminution à Machaut, Josquin etc. Am I going about it the right way?

Hope this helps!

H

Hi,

So in this case we can do the following (even simpler):

The patch:
timequant2-1 2.omp (20.4 KB)

Is it what you are looking for?

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Yes, thanks so much!

Another thing: when I try to quantise the output of Voice2, why are 86 notes lost while quantising (as in Voice3)?

Sorry can you be more specific?
In your patch I don’t see voice3, only voice2?
Besides, your first quantification is based on a very low tempo = 28.

I’ve attached a screenshot where all voices are open and I’ve evaluated each function from start to (current) end. Voice 2 & 3 have 5 individual note onsets, whereas voice 3 only has two. Come the mktree, I get this warning:
<Warning: with the given constraints, 46 notes are lost while quantizing
OM => (3/4 (((3 4) ((1 (1 1 -4)) -2))))>
Where have all the other onsets gone?
Patch attached.
Best,
H

I’m trying to get voice 2 to look slightly less… offensive to players… than it currently does.

less… offensive to players…

:slight_smile: I understand this !

The problem comes from the flat. You don’t need this. You can directly connect the self output of voice to the first input of omquantify, and this will output a voice like so:

The patch:
timequant2-1 4.omp (29.0 KB)

Best
K

Oh fantastic! Thanks so much!
H

1 Like

Hi Karim,

Is there a way to now tell the program that if the duration of a particular note in the string is longer than 10 seconds, that the whole string of notes is condensed into the space of that single note?

Thanks,
H

Yes it is possible. But please put your problem into a context, ie. a patch. We cannot know what values you want to convert here and under what form your duration values

Best
K