< Back to IRCAM Forum

3 questions

Hi,

1. Do we know when an eventual library version of Antescofo with C / C++ API should be released and under which licence ?

2. Is the Pure Data version of Antescofo stable enough for 30’ live performance ?

3. Will other people working / playing with my Antescofo score have to sign in the Ircam forum in order to download Antescofo Max / Pure Data objects or am I implicitly authorized to share what I have downloaded ? What is the license of the actual downloadable Antescofo ?

Thank you.

Best

Hello ch9.

1. We stared this month the development of an open-source version of an extension of the antescofo language. This extension will be fully compatible with the actual antescofo language. This version will be able to “connect” with the listening machine of the antescofo object. The listening machine is “proprietary” and will not be available as a C/C++ API.

Howevever, do not expect the open-source version before the end of 2024.

1. I cannot answer to this question. I have almost no feedback on the PureData version. The Max version is intensively used (for instance, the electronic of the last piece of José Miguel Fernandez or the electronic of the last piece fo Sasha Blondeau represent more that 30.000 loc running for 30’ without bugs).
    If you want to use antescofo on PureData, test the patch sufficiently in advance so that we can correct the bugs detected (bearing in mind that these corrections relies on a researcher engaged in other activities).

2. Yes : the users are supposed to download the version of the object from the forum. Please do not distribute yourself an antescofo object (except if it is coming with a patch transfered “from hand to hand” for one specific performance).

The Antescofo object is free to use for an artistic usage. If you want to use it in an application broadly diffused, or in a commercial application (including artistic application), or in case of doubt, please contact directly Jean-Louis Giavitto / IRCAM (@giavitto) and Arshia Cont / Antescofo™ (@arshiacont) with the details of the intended use.

Jl.

1 Like

Hello @ch9 . In compliment to Jean-Louis’ response, mine on items 2 & 3:

Disclaimer: I am no longer an employee of Ircam. My response below reflects my opinion and that of the Antescofo Co who is the owner of the intellectual property behind Antescofo.

Short Version:
(2) the Pure Data version of Antescofo is as stable as the Max version. It has recently been featured in hour long concerts. Maybe @lemouton or @gilbert-nouno can shed light on this from their own experience.
(3) Antescofo Max/Pd objects are free to use and share (see long answer for details!). I can see that current Ircam Forum Licence does not cover the free software section of the Forum! In short: any personal and/or artistic (non-commercial) use/distribution of Antescofo objects are authorized (and heavily encouraged)! Packaging Antescofo for live performances (even in the case where a performance is monetized) enters this field (and again heavily encouraged!).

Long Version:

(2) The PureData Object has the same behavior as the Max Object. They share the same code-base and special care has been made so that no host interfere with performance. That’s why we don’t support some of the late fancy features in Max! :wink: If you encounter any difficulty, let us know on this Forum! I am personally keen on fixing anything that comes up on the Pd Object. :sunglasses:

(3) Antescofo is developped and maintained jointly by Ircam and the Antescofo Company. As part of the deal in 2018, the two parties agreed that Antescofo Max/Pd objects should remain free for all artists (a wish shared by both parties and strongly esteemed at Antescofo Co). No commercial use of Antescofo is authorized without direct permission of Antescofo Co. All artistic use/distribution of Max/Pd objects is ofcourse exempted and highly encouraged.
We, at Antescofo Co, never asked for obligatory login to download Max/Pd objects. I would personally prefer its availability without any barrier but I believe our friends at Ircam Forum had good reasons to impose that. In any case, it is not a sign to evade you from using/composing/performing with Antescofo. :wink:

Any insights on the above from Ircam Forum director(s) would be welcome.

I will be happy to assist further if needed. But in short: Antescofo became free for Max/Pd so people wouldn’t worry about such stuff.

1 Like

PS: We just open-sourced the AntescofoConverter for converting your MIDI/MusicXML scores to Antescofo format :point_right: GitHub - Antescofo/antescofoimporter: MusicXML to Antescofo Convertor