< Back to IRCAM Forum

Updated Expression Controller in 3.5.1.b2

Thanks Robert!

I get it. Using dynamic controller attached to an expression = indirect execution = it works fine!

Best Hans Peter

Hi Again!

Here’s a new elaborated version of Jeans atan instrument.

Open the subpath StringForceFeedback-Controls and follow the instruction.

I have added another controller to the first force connection (with my nonlinear formular).
NB! Operate weights/drives carefully as they when set too high easily can explode Modalys.

Note that you can now start stop frequency deviation at will using the bypass controll.
Activating frequency deviation and playing gently with Force1Drive makes for some weird auto-changing timbres.
Access positions are fun to change too, esp. in1pos and out1pos.

Its all together delightfully weird!

Have fun! Hans Peter

01c-string-force_mlysChgModefrq.maxpat (57.1 KB)

3.5.1.b4 is on air!

http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/en/beta.php?id_product=52&beta=1

:wink:

Hi guys !

I just had time to test the new patches you posted. It’s great!

For me the next step it to program new connections type…

Jean

Hi There !

I have been working with geninfo/setinfo on mode-amplitude and mode-shape today (in version b4).

However I have the impression that even if they seem to work they don’t really apply.
Look at the following patch and verify the messages in the patch (in the order proposed).

The idea was that I wanted to normalise position and speed of an access (for a more comfortable output).
I thought I could either scale the mode-amplitudes or even scale the mode-shape itself. None of them worked.

I am I missing something or is this something to be fixed? Would be great if they worked.

All the best Hans Peter

Mode-shape-Mode-amplitude-etude-v1.maxpat (50.8 KB)

Hi again!

Working along the idea of modifying modal frequencies it seem that a multidimensional dynamical controller would be handy.
I think a good start would be just to make multidimensional instantiation of a dynamic controller possible.
From there we can start experimenting connecting a N-dim dynamic controller and expressions to warp/distort mode frequencies.
Maybe after some experimentation we would be able to clarify what is the best use / implementation?

Also as a comment to Jena’s remark:

• For me the next step it to program new connections type…
    I could not agree more :slight_smile: I am all in! We could redo simple connections (as pluck ans strike) with different kind of controlls and shapes.
    Or we could go into reed and valve (which a really small nonlinear excitations) and extend and explore even further.
    Or go entirely nonlinear! ( … which is more or less what I am about to do anyway … :slight_smile:

All the best Hans Peter

Hi Jean,

What do you mean by “new connection types” ?..

Robert

Hi there!

Here’s another expression example based on a reed+tube instrument exploring irrational relationshop between modefrqs.
Because the reed connections built-in slight nonlinearity changing just a few of the lowest modefrqs easily creates multiphonic like sonorities. Quite delightfull!

The expression show use of if-statement to avoid running the expression at initialisation time.

BTW, Robert, do you have any example explaining the syntax of the for-statement?
I believe it could be something like:

n=inlet(1,1)
for (i=1), (i<n), (i=i+1)
setinfo(“mode-frequency”,s,i,f0+random(100))
end

Please correct me if I am wrong!
Best Hans Peter

Reed-ClosedOpenTube.maxpat (45.9 KB)

Hi Hans Peter,

The for statement is experimental, but will not be implemented.
So “while-do” must be used instead!

Thanks,
Robert

Ok, not a big issue, “while-do” can perform equally well.

In ModaLisp there is a connection-state controller.
Is there anything similar in the getinfo/setinfo domain?

Best Hans Peter

Alright my dear, I have implemented a new getinfo in 3.5.1.b4:
v=getinfo(“state”,“Pluck”)
Which returns either 0 or 1 depending on the state.

Robert

Thanks Robert!

While we are at it : have you had time to look into the post the 6/4 about mode-amplitude and mode-shape?

I have the impression they are not functional. See the patch I posted the 6/4. Would be great if they could work.

Best Hans Peter

Hi Hans Peter,

I am looking into it (and you are right, mode amplitudes don’t seem to be changed in this example).

Robert