< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM on MacOS Mojave - no way past first dialog

OM 6.13 (and back to 6.10)
MacOS 10.14 public beta 3 “Mojave” (Yes yes, mea culpa for using a beta of MacOS, but…)

On launching OM, the first dialogue appears (“Choose or create a workspace…”). One can choose an option, but there is no “OK” button, and no other way to confirm the choice. So there is no way of getting beyond this point. Pressing RETURN or ENTER does not work. One cannot QUIT, because there is no “QUITE” button, and the QUIT menu option is greyed out (and command-Q does not work). The programme is not ‘hung’ - it is just waiting for input that cannot be given. The only way out is force-quit.

It seems to apply to all the versions I have (6.10 to 6.13). Of course, these worked fine on previous versions of MacOS.

(I am using two displays, but when I try with just one display, I still get the same result)

Best
Andrew

dialog.jpg

…and the answer my friend, … is in your question, …
DON’T use Beta OS releases if you don’t want to have problems running your applications.
Another advice is not to use MacOsX at all… (don’t try windows either)…

best
K

A very fair point, Karim :slight_smile:

Dear Andrew,

You know, my reply was not against you trying the latest Beta from Apple. I think trying out testing is really valuable, and thank you for the report. It is directed most particularly toward the annoying apple upgrading policies. Each time these guys launch an os upgrade most of serious applications have to follow up. THe trouble here is not OM issue , but worse, it’s LispWorks. i am afraid that most of Lispworks api applications will face this problem, and will have a major issue. So Lispworks will release a new version that will cost plenty to be MacOS Mojave compatible. It is alwasy the same game… where the loosers are the users. I’ve seen also other applications’ forum where mac (and window) users are also complaining about a lot of issues due to upgrades. My advice, better stick with a responsible OS, where the user has teh upperhand if you see what i mean. :slight_smile:

Best K

hello again everybody!
I missed my forumnet discussion groups, especially this one.
so, has anyone tried openmusic in mojave? I’m still on om6.12 and high Sierra. any recommendations before changing? something to remind of? I’m still in the middle of a project and would not like to get stuck. [yes, yes, i know ‘one shouldn’t change horses while crossing a river’…]
thanks in advance for any info,
perti

Hi there,

I have recently switched to Mojave while I am in the middle of a project and have been intensively using OM6.13, and here is what I discovered:

OM runs with the big exception of this bug. Actually though, with my computer, I was able to circumvent this issue by the keystroke fn+return, which I presume functions the same as clicking OK. I have been able to go into the program beyond the initial window, and as far as I can tell, things seem to be running all right. However, when I quit the program, I cannot save the patches from the popup dialog because of the aforementioned problem (instead, I have to ⌘+s to save the files).

To sum this up, if you are in the middle of a project that uses OM intensively, I’d not recommend switching to Mojave until a Mojave-compatible version is released.

Cheers,
Yoshi

Dear Perti,

As you put it and as Yoshi recommends wisely : ‘one shouldn’t change horses while crossing a river’…
There has been issues (now solved) with FINALE and the first release of Mojave. So i recommend also to wait a bit.

Best
K

Hi there. I Confirm: I’m not even running Mojave myself and have not been able to test anything yet.
I’ll keep you all posted.
Jean

Hi, I installed Mojave on second old Mac, a MacBook Pro, and Open Music 6.14 doesn’t respond at all. It was just for testing. On my main iMac I still have Sierra 10.12.6. A note to myself is that I should have upgraded to High Sierra a soon as Open Music did work with that OS. Now it is (almost) impossible to get that version.

Best, Dagfinn

Bonjour,
J’ai exactement le même problème avec la disparition dans Mojave du bouton OK. Je viens de me confronter par deux fois à ce problème. Première fois, je souhaite envoyer ma séquence dans Ableton Live via le port IAC1 en passant par Préférences et comme je le faisais avant. Je choisissais le port, je validais avec “Apply” et le changement était pris en compte dans OM. Là, ce n’est plus possible, les boutons Restore - Apply Cancel et OK on disparu, seul subsiste dans la fenêtre principale Restart. Donc, comme le port IAC ne peut-pas être validé, le réglage de base “disconnect” ne peut pas être changé. Résultat, travaillant sur un projet où j’aurais bien aimé utiliser la séquence de ce patch, je ne peux pas. Bien entendu, il y a toujours la solution de sauvegarder la séquence en midi. Mais si par exemple, j’utilise la fonction x-append avec plusieurs séquences et que je réordonne aléatoirement le résultat avec permut-random c’est guère pratique mais c’est une possibilité.
Pour information, Opusmodus de Janusz Podrazik tourne parfaitement sous Mojave. Est-ce le même type de LISP.
Cordialement.
Didier

Hi there,

[I have merged these two related threads to avoid duplicate answers]

So here is a temporary fix for macOS 10.14/Mojave:
Open the “OM 6.14.app” bundle using the menu “Show Package Contents”, then put the attached file in “OM 6.14.app/Contents/Init/”
That should place all the buttons back where they belong.

Do NOT do it on previous macOS versions !

—Jean

om-buttons-mojave.64xfasl.zip (1.8 KB)

It works! Thanks, Jean. All best.

The same for me. It works. Thanks Jean.
Didier

PS : A quick reminder to insert the file “OM 6.14.app/Contents/Init/”:
The ‘patches’ folder is no more visible: you can find it as OM 6.x.app/Contents/Init,
or simply put your Lisp code in the Workspace’s “user” folder instead.
3) The OM source code is still accessible from OM, but also now relocated
inside the .app bundle’s resources.

(Just catching up.) Thanks everyone for your input - to Yoshi for the keystroke solution and to Jean for this temporary fix (yes, it works! Brilliant!)
And also Karim (from 5 months ago!) - thank you, I completely understand, and agree!
Andrew

using Yoshi keystroke alternative works well with Mojave to date.

Oh dear, I am quite humbled to see that there is now a keystroke named after me (!!). Joking aside, thank you Jean for the temporary fix. I have implemented it on my OM 6.13 and 6.14, both running on Mojave, and now things are in order.

Cheers,
Yoshi

Merci Jean, ça marche ici aussi.

Thanks, Jean! I wasn’t able to change my settings as well. This works perfectly.