< Back to IRCAM Forum

Help to install OpenMusic on Linux needed!

Hi Piotr,

Very strange indeed. Can you first try to run ldconfig in your terminal ?
Maybe this will help.
Else i will suggest a complicated solution but it will work hopefully.

Best
K

…update, (slightly off topic)
for kernel headers: install kernel-devel package
But still concerning OM => no icons…

Best
K

Hi Karim,
running ldconfig before starting openmusic doesn’t help but I was able to compile omaudiolib and after changing the original library with the one I compiled I can now run openmusic on my fedora.
After quick test i can say that everything is working fine! Great.
Many thanks for your help!
Best,
Piotr

PS. Is it possible to make a self contained distribution agnostic linux version of OpenMusic. Mayby something like AppImage or Flatpak

Oh great.
that was what i wanted to suggest. To compile the omaudiolib against your existing libs.
Jean, just wrote to me, and he suggested even a better solution, to make om run independently if yes or not the libs are loaded. This may take sometime, since i have to get me a Linux Lispwork to be able to compile OM for linux.
However, these issus are also unfortunately also on windows (same problem with audiolib). Should investigate all of this soon.

Personaly i use OM on linux in without installer. Will try to explain this.
I copy all the folder /usr/share/openmusic somewhere, then copy the binary into it (/usr/bin/openmusic). And call open music whith this script:

#!/bin/sh

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=’.’ /home/karim/bin/openmusic/openmusic

and this will work. However the omaudiolib problem is unrelated to this. It is something to do with installed audio libs. Maybe you have installed a binary with a lib that is incompatible with the already compiled version of omaudiolib.

But you have done well to do so!

BEst
K
and happy xmas

Dear Karim,

Thank you for your advice. Next time I install a new system I’l try your way of running OpenMusic. For now I am perfectly happy with what I got. OpenMusic is great!
I don’t have enough technical knowledge, but is there any way to pack all needed components and make easy to install solution like this?

Just in case anyone would need to compile OMAudioLib on Fedora here is what works for me:

• after running make from /omaudiolib-master/Builds/Linux/ I got:

Package alsa was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing alsa.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'alsa', required by 'virtual:world', not found Package 'libcurl', required by 'virtual:world', not found Package alsa was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containingalsa.pc’
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package ‘alsa’, required by ‘virtual:world’, not found
Package ‘libcurl’, required by ‘virtual:world’, not found
make: *** [Makefile:167: check-pkg-config] Błąd 1

• so I had to manually install additional packages: alsa-lib-devel and libcurl-devel
  • after that I have successfully compiled OMAudioLib
  • than I copied the resulting file with from /omaudiolib-master/Builds/Linux/build to /usr/share/openmusic/resources/lib/linux/
    *it works!

All the best!
Piotr

PS. Omlily is also great! I use it frequently and find it very useful. Thank you!

Dear Piotr,

Yes indeed, sorry forgot to mention this. usually when you get to compile things you will need the dev (headers) file. And since omAudiofile relies on alsa (which is a good thing) it is dependent on these.
I took a look on AppImage packaging, Well to tell you the truth, i don’t think it is a good idea, since it is a copycat of what Apple does. And this, in spite it seems to be very practical, in fact it is not at all. What is ideal is the packaging for each system AND a free bundle that is mid way from packaging and Appimaging. That what i was referring to in my last reply. In fact that is what i use myself on Linux, since OM includes its own libraries. However, let’s not be hasty, and give this some time to reflect…

Thanx a lot for your feedback, and your patience.

Best
K

With the release of OM 6.16 comes a complete redesign of loading OMAudioLib on Linux. The included .so should now be compatible across Fedora releases 29-31, Ubuntu 18.04 and newer, and recent Debian based OS’es. It is also installed and loaded from within OMs own resources.

Please use this version if you observe troubles with loading of OMAudioLib on Linux.

-anders

I’ve successfully installed OM 6.16 on Ubuntu 18.04, everything looks good and behaves as expected, with one exception: No available connection to Jack audio, sad to say. In fact, I can’t get sound regardless what device I select. MIDI works fine, no problems there, but I’m confused how to get regular audio. OM doesn’t appear in the Jack graph, am I missing a library somewhere ? Or do I need to build one from source ? Btw, I’m very excited to get back into OM, I’d like to get it working with VCV Rack as a synthesis target. TIA!

Hi Dave.

There’s no Jack support built in to OM, instead it connects to ALSA or Pulse. If you want to have audio output through Jack use e.g. the PulseAudio Jack sink, which OM will connect to automatically if it finds it (or you can select it from the Prefernces if you want to change output devices manually).

Alas, the Jack sink does not appear in the device list. It’s working, it appears in the QJackCtl audio tab, but OM’s audio configuration isn’t seeing it. Btw, I built and installed OMAudioLib, it’s in /usr/lib (Ubuntu 18.04). Does OM expect to find it somewhere else ?

I built and installed OMAudioLib, it’s in /usr/lib

As described here this should no longer be necessary if you install one of the released builds (the included OMAudioLib.so is tested and compatible also with Ubuntu 18.04). Also the install/load path has changed.

Okay, thanks, I’ve removed my version. At this point the only version is in /usr/share/openmusic/resources/lib/linux/. Ran ldconfig just to make sure, restarted OM 6.16, checked Preferences, no explicit entry for the Jack Sink in PulseAudio. I have two selections for PulseAudio: “Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server” and “PulseAudio sound Server”, followed by a bunch of selections for the HDA and loopback devices. Should I see a separate entry for the Jack Sink ?

This is the wanted items, and indicates things are fine as regards to OM and Pulse, and thus the trouble is somewhere in your Pulse<->Jack io.

Perhaps try firing up PulseAudio Volume Control? I find it’s often nice for checking available devices, routing, muted channels etc.

Dear Anders,

In the new version of omaudiolib it seems that “Jack Audio Connection Kit” option is missing in OM audio preferences. This is present on my 6.15 version.

Will test maybe something’s missing in my new install.

Best
K

Hmm, not sure why this is so. Jack is disabled by default in the building of OMAudioLib (and has always been afaik), perhaps you enabled it in when building your own?

Personally I only playback using the Pulse->Jack plug, so not able to help much here unfortunately. But regardless of Jack/noJack it should be straightforward to use the Pulse layer with OM.

Problem solved. I was testing examples in OM2Csound and OM-Chant and finally tried changing the default output filename format from whatever.aif (or aiff) to whatever.wav. Voila, I have audio playback from the examples. So the problem is that my playback system won’t play a file with an AIF/AIFF extension. Sorry for the noise, Anders, and thank you for your help ! :slight_smile:

It seems OMAudioLib gets confused if you try to play a RIFF file with the wrong name - .aiff or similar. That’s just weird though, i can’t see any reason it just shouldn’t look at the header, and disregard whatever filename is passed.

Let’s make it an issue on omaudiolibs issue-tracker.

Thanks, Anders, I’ve added a little extra information to the issue.

@Anders,
For info:
Just tested the playback issue with omaudiolib, this doesn’t happen in the macosx omaudiolib version. Retgardless of what extension you have, o,audiolib (macosx) plays the soundfile.

Best
k

no-go playback of RIFF-file.aiff (or AIFF-file.wav, or ANY-file.abcd) is fixed in omaudiolib. Just need to double-check all platforms, then i’ll push to master, and it’ll be ready for the next release.

-anders